Monday, May 18, 2009

Why I hate looking for lawyers (part 2)

Dear Congressman,

To continue from Friday's search, I called another local Butler county law office to find an attorney to take care of filing the form I need for inventory on probate. Here was the conversation last Friday:

Receptionist: Greade, Greade, and Fehr, Penelope speaking, how can I help you.

Me: Hi Penelope, I found your law firm in the yellow pages and I am looking for someone to file a form I need for my probate inventory.

Penelope: Mr. Wolf handles probate matters in the office but he has left for the day. If you leave your name and number I can have him call you on Monday morning?.

Me: Thanks Penelope.

I look at my watch and notice that it is only 2:45. Must be nice to be able to keep bankers hours.


Lets fast forward to Monday. It is now 3:30 in the afternoon and still no return call from Mr. Wolf. Thus I dial the phone.

Receptionist: Greade, Greade, and Fehr, Penelope speaking, how can I help you.

Me: Hi Penelope, I called on Friday regarding a probate inventory matter and, I believe it was you, referred me to a Mr. Wolf, who was going to return my call this morning. However, I haven't heard from him so I am just following up.

(definite pause)

Penelope: Mr. Wolf is currently at lunch. Would you like me to take your name and number and have him call you after he returns.

Me: (puzzled) Yes, thank you , Penelope.

Now, for the record, I googled this guy. Mr. Wolf is a junior member of the law firm with only a couple years of experience, so I seriously doubt he is still at lunch at 3:30 in the afternoon. That kind of longevity of dining hours is reserved for senior partners only.

So unless I hear from Mr. Wolf sometime this afternoon it is back to the drawing board....

sigh....

1 comment:

gcharrison22 said...

So sorry Rich for your horrible experiences with the gatekeepers at the lawyers' offices. I appreciate what you're doing.