Friday, November 7, 2008

First Post

While my brother from Connecticut was serving in Iraq during 2007 I wrote him a blog, mostly humorous, to help maintain his sanity. Since his return I have only updated it a couple of times, lapsing into laziness as my muse had safely returned to the USA from his tour of duty.

So, it is time to find a new muse. I thought about a blog for the common man, but I seriously doubted the common man would care that I was blogging about him, especially since it is getting near hunting season here in Ohio and the NFL and college football seasons do not wrap up for a month or two. I couldn't blog for the common woman, because Sarah Palin might be tempted to fly over my car taking pot shots with a sniper's rifle from a Jet Ranger.



So, why not choose my congressman? After all, most of you know him. His name is John Boehner and he is the Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Ohio's 8th District. He represents Butler, Miami, Preble & Darke counties in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati and the western suburbs of Dayton. Not that he ran unopposed, but the Democrats ran a Miami University (the one in Ohio, not Florida) grad student named Nicholas Von Stein against him, since they were probably looking for volunteers who were brave enough to run against the House Minority Leader.

Poor Nick did not fair well in this election....
CONGRESS-8TH DISTRICT



Total
Number of Precincts
277
Precincts Reporting
277 100.0 %
Total Votes
144047

JOHN A. BOEHNER
95689 66.43%
NICHOLAS VON STEIN
48358 33.57%


Then again, southern Ohio has always been very conservative, and tends to be a pretty safe seat for the Republican party. So Nick should not feel too bad about being thrown to the wolves on this one.

In fact, while the TV was a continuous bombardment of hardline political attack ads, pleading candidates, and the infamous "voice of pity" ad where a male or female announcer fearfully informs you of the impending Armageddon if the opposing candidate manages to get into office, not a single ad was run by either Mr. Boehner or Mr. Von Stein.

That my friends is the definition of a safe seat...

Anyway, I do not plan on pounding away at Mr. Boehner's policies and beliefs. There are plenty of political bloggers out there who are doing that already.

Nope, I just need a muse, someone to write to from time to time with observations or just plain off the wall comments. And Congressman Boehner... you are it....

No comments: